American Express in Canada is currently offering an increased sign-up bonus on The American Express Gold Rewards Card! I already consider it the overall best travel rewards card for Canadians, so this increased welcome bonus only sweetens the deal!
Here are the details:
- 25,000 Membership Reward welcome bonus after spending $1,500 in the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn 2 points for every $1 charged to the card at gas stations, grocery stores, travel purchases and drugstore
- Earn 1 point for every $1 charged everywhere else
- Emergency medical insurance (out of province)
- Trip interruption, lost baggage and comprehensive car rental insurance
- $150 annual fee (not currently waived the first year)
- Refer a friend and receive 5000 Membership Rewards points
American Express Membership Rewards points are a flexible points currency that can be transferred to a number of airline loyalty programs, including British Airways Executive Club (Avios) and Air Canada Aeroplan at a 1:1 ratio. Points can also be redeemed for a fixed value of 1 cent per point towards travel purchases charged to the card, which would mean 30,000 points could be redeemed for $300 in travel purchases! For more information about the different type of points programs, check out my beginner’s guide to earning and redeeming travel rewards points.
Similar to the Fine Hotel and Resorts Program offered by the Platinum Card and The Business Platinum Card, The Gold Rewards Card allows access to the Hotel Collection by American Express. For hotel stays booked through American Express travel with a minimum 2-night stay, card members are entitled to the following benefits at select properties:
That’s a great benefit as the program rate will always be comparable to the best available rate from the hotel, and in some instances, cheaper.
What’s Different About The New Offer:
The only difference between this offer and the normal 25,000 welcome bonus is the addition of a supplement cardholder during the application process. It should also be noted that this offer for an additional 5,000 Membership Reward points is only available through a referral link and not through the American Express website.
Adding a supplement card during the application is very straightforward and the annual fee is waived for the first year, similar to the primary card. Complete the application as you normally would with the following two steps:
On the third page of the application, find the area to apply for a supplementary card and select ‘yes’
Complete the basic information for the supplement cardholder. Note the additional user doesn’t need to be a spouse or family member and can live at a different address. Furthermore, the card doesn’t even need to be used, simply applied for to receive the additional 5,000 Membership Reward Points! The supplement card can also be a useful tool in helping meet any minimum spend requirements (only $1,500 in the first 3 months for this card) as two people can be spending on the same account. It’s important that you trust the supplementary cardholder if you decide to allow them to use the card, as the primary cardmember will always be responsible for any outstanding debts.
What can you do with 30,000 Membership Reward points?
- You could transfer your points to British Airways Avios and have enough for a roundtrip ticket from the west coast to Hawaii
- You could transfer to Aeroplan to redeem for a roundtrip ticket anywhere in North America (note that Aeroplan is ending their relationship with Air Canada in 2020 and this will only be an option until then)
- You could redeem for a $300 statement credit for any travel purchase, including airline tickets, hotel stays, or car rentals